My dabble in marketing.

Although after doing a lot of work for it, I was not allowed to be on the marketing team, but I still went ahead and carried on when it was evident that nothing was being done. I said I would wait to see if anything appeared, and if not, I would carry on doing social media marketing (as this did not step on toes of people who would get angry if I went ahead and printed posters. I had to tread a very thin line with the ‘marketing’ people. Not fun).

Either way, I was proud of what I achieved in this field, and I got to use my skills I learned through after effects to create trailers that eventually circulated Facebook among the drama student community. It’s a shame I wasn’t allowed to just do the marketing for them as I can guarantee I would have got a lot done. I have contacts in the radio stations, knew where to get things printed quickly, and just how to get the word out in interesting ways. But alas, directors and other members of the group did not allow me. So it’s a shame, but here’s what I did.

(My images did however end up in the Lincoln programme and on the website (Seen here!), this is because I was the only one who actually emailed them when the deadline was due.)

Poster!

11036794_1080918515255969_2014516050373596428_n

A lot of the idea for the poster came from a need for a simple and clear design. Something memorable that would carry. I opted for the sniper rifle imagery. We have scenes where people are assassinated, and although it doesn’t say much about the performance, it says enough. All the poster needs to do is tantalise an audience into coming, and I felt my poster did that. The poster they went with in the end that appeared on leaflets (which appeared in circulation the day before the show) was also simple, but I never fully understood it, I also wish it appeared in circulation sooner. Marketing is important to me, I wish it was taken seriously.

Trailers!

Following the creation of the poster, I made a trailer following the similar art style. It featured the voice of John F. Kennedy talking about history in his moon speech. Again this is not giving a lot away, but the audience realise we’re going to be dealing with the past.

After a comment from my father (yup, this is where I usually go for advice) about it not being clear enough and he still has no idea what it was about – I opted for this much clearer and more fun trailer with actual clips from some of the scenes we are doing. It is clear we are dealing with specific moments of history and with the popular song; the trailer attracts an audience, especially those of our age group, which, given that it is a university performance, will be the main body of the audience.