A New Horizon

Jake Allsop

As our group originally had an idea to create a piece centered on dark thoughts that human beings participated in, we now focus on the dark thought of one person in particular: George Orwell. Orwell’s magnum opus “1984” came when he had a terrible vision of world without free speech, without will and constant surveillance and control gripped our world. With this in mind, our group will create a piece that depicts a dystopian future resembling Orwell’s influential book.

On this topic, our Director presented us with tasks that stem from a totalitarian world. The first was to have an everyday activity caught on camera as every aspect of the World would be under heavy video surveillance. I decided to have someone film me as I was sleeping as I saw the sheer uncomfortable level of privacy invasion as the Government could spy on you even as you sleep, reminding you that the Government can perceive you as a potential threat to their  regime.

The second task was to scribe 5 rules that the Government could enforce in this dystopian world. I looked back on other examples of a world under complete subjugation such as V for Vendetta to the Justice Lords arc from the Justice League animated series. I took these fictional worlds under advisement as I decided on rules that are extreme in this modern world but not too out far from the realm of possibility.

The final task was to choose a script written by Richard Foreman who specializes in Ontological-Hysteric Theatre, While his script were rather outlandish I decided on the piece “Suppose” as I was intrigued by the real world propositions Foreman posed in a potential world environment.

Moving forward I’m certain with tasks such as these we will continue to push the envelope of what our dystopian piece can achieve.

Five Rules for the New World

.